Spring Break – Ditching My Friend

For spring break my girlfriend and her best friend had planned a camping trip to southern Utah to a semi-secret little spot by the name of Red Cliffs. By semi-secret I mean there is a forty place national park camping ground with running water and toilets. Real undergroundstuff, like Cat Stevens. The problem was that there was room for 10 people in two cars and those spots were taken. The rub there was that my friend Cole was left out. Cole had a bizarre existence for a high schooler, he worked as a baker at a local shop and had to start work at godforsaken-o'clock in the anti-meridian. The upside of this was that he had to head home for bed at a very early time on nights before work and he was going to have to work during spring break. Meaning that he couldn't have come if he was invited which I was not at liberty to do any way because it was not my trip and there was no room. I choose not to discuss that fact with him and opted instead to try to avoid him for the week running up to spring break even though we had two classes together. I don't really know why I wanted to avoid the subject coming up but then again I am a big fan of ignoring things an hoping it goes away eventually. I could tell Cole was mad and that his feel-bads were hurt that he was getting ditched but I just passed him in the hall finding something else to look at or someone to talk with to pretend I couldn't see him and have to deal with it. Real stand up guy right?