Getting Caught - Who is the Maestro

The next Monday at school when a usurper was doing the announcements and was reading the list of regional debate winners that my teacher had written he read off the nickname my coach had not been able to leave off the list for the pride of winning regional.  The code-name only stymied the kid for a moment as he tried to remember where he had heard that nick name before. It was me a nickname I got from my best friend that he gotten from his best friend's dad 'The Maestro'. I liked the pretentious sound of it, and I like so many want to write my own reviews and build my own myth so I had written on several of my things. This kid had somehow remembered that and sat for a second on air and contemplated who 'The Maestro' was. He remembered and said he was certain that it was Nate that was the Maestro and that I had won first place at debate regional. Watching this slow train wreck develop on live TV was when I realized that would not be going to the state debate tournament. In less than a minute my debate teacher had traveled the distance from the point furthest from, which was where his classroom was to the point furthest to, which was of the classroom I was in currently. He looked in the door and motioned me out into the hall. I said I knew he would be in big trouble if they knew I went with his blessing and we agreed that the rouge and deceitful student was the best way to play this for both of our sake's  This ad hoc strategy meeting took less than twenty seconds and he hustled out the back glass double doors of the annex building where I seemed fated to receive all of my bad news that year. I was sad that I was not going to go to state debate but I thought it was fair for me to take the blame because the blame was mine and he had already gone way too far out for my benefit anyway. Ten seconds after he had cleared the doors and even before I was back in class the vice principal was coming through the opposite set of double doors towards me asking what exactly in the blue hell I had been up to going to regional debate when I knew I was ineligible for all extra curricular activity. I told him that I signed up for it before I ineligible so I thought I was still allowed to go. Pro-tip: This was a lie. I did know that I wasn't supposed to go but I wasn't sorry. I told him that I didn't ride the bus and that I had lied to by debate coach telling him I had been cleared to compete. Thankfully that got my coach off the hook and I  was disciplined no more than I already had been. What I was sorry about is that it wouldn't get to go compete and win state debate, but then again I think we are all comfortable with the probability that it was going to win anyway so that should be enough right? That is not enough.