Prom – I Make My Move Early

I thought that the prom, with its literary and cinematographic reputation for being the time of great sexual transition in a young man's life would be a great time to get my first kiss from my girlfriend. To that end I made some rather extensive plans to ask her out, and thus stake my claim, well before the time generally considered reasonable. Generally, 2 to 3 weeks before a dance was sufficient time to ensure that you would have a date that wasn't barrel scrapings. Not that everything you find when you are scraping the barrel is necessarily barrel scrapings per se it is just there is a good chance that is what you find when you wait till all of the good dibs have been dibed. Even with two weeks maybe you didn't get the particular date you wanted first go, but then you still had some built-in buffer before you may be on the verge of beginning to have to scrape barrel where you would find whomever of God's precious daughters that were left over. The logic is sound. To avoid any confusion about who was who's date I made my move about eight weeks early. I got my little arts and crafts project together, which was the modus operandi for inviting people to a dance with you at my high school. I think it had something to do with putting secret message in an Oreo and putting lots of decoy Oreos into a jar, or that could of been the way that she answered me with a similarly mandated arts and crafts project. Either way she said yes and she told me a couple times running up to the big day that other people had asked her if she had been asked already, boys and girls included, and they were all very surprised that she been snatched up so much in advance. I was not ashamed that I was the earliest of iron striking birds and no-looky leapers, I got what I came for and I made sure of that. I went to work making plans with other friends about the required day-time activity and how we would not be meeting up with them until dinner. I was planning a romantic date for two and glommers on need not apply. This, combined with my woeful lack of direction in big cities turned out to be a bit of a mistake by which I mean it was a major cluster mess.