Some Crazy Underground Movies and Music

 With all of my summer girlfriends winding down and my plate back to empty I started dating a girl who seemed pretty cool. She was not. Her older brother had been my co-host on the morning announcements the year before and was considered by myself and many others to be a pretty cool guy. She was riding on the coattails pretty hard and if you only knew her for a little while you may well be, as I was, tricked into thinking that she was a pretty original and interesting person. My friend who had just recently been elected to student government with me had dated her for a few months at the end of the last year and that was endorsement enough. The first couple of times we hung out we were with a group of friends and we watched movies and did other hard to get to know someone things. Her family and friends were huge fans of a independent comedy called 'Ruben and Ed' which was actually fairly funny in an acid trippy kind of way.
 However, their weird ownership of the movie made it less funny, as we were trying to watch it they kept pre-laughing jokes and then reciting funny lines along with the movie. It was an experience very similar to watching Monty Python with a super fan who wants to show the people he is with, especially Python virgins, that he gets it and loves it deeply while he ruins it for everyone else. That type of person loves to watch the joke unfold as they help it along and keep looking at your face to make sure you are getting it the same way that they are. All in all a delightful way to watch anything. Besides independent film her family was into borderline mainstream stuff that they felt was very esoteric and thereby made them cool by just knowing about and appreciating it. It was not that at all. It is best summed up in her claim that her favorite music was underground stuff, I asked which bands she meant and she said without self awareness or irony, the multi-platinum recording artists Cat Stephens and Simon and Garfunkel. I think that for a while there in the seventies, eighties and nineties every movie was required, by law, to have a song by one or both of those artists. I at first thought she must be joking but she was sincerely ignorant and was mad when I had laughed involuntarily. I told her that those artist were among the most well known in the world, not Madonna or the Beatles but right up there. She argued with me and said she had never met anyone who even knew who they were. Well, maybe so, but that little exchange should have put my ears up that I may be dealing with someone not entirely on speaking terms with reality.