Prom – A Kid Dies and Ruins the Mood

>By the time we got to the prom and went down for our little walk on the promenade, got the pictures taken and started dancing my date had calmed down from the slight of me wanting her to eat dinner. Nobody was really doing because it is hard to do and still look amazing in really nice clothes. Also you can dance only minimally in really nice clothes especially because they are rentals and I at least was nearly frightened senseless at the thought of losing my deposit. We did dance a little and stood around talking people passing time when somebody announced over the PA system that a kid our age had died. He was not really a friend of anyone in the group but we did all know him. He was a nice but effeminate guy that I had teased a bit about being gay and I think most guys had joked about him being gay. Unless he was running deep cover he actually wasn't gay and had been out snowmobiling with his date before prom. While they were riding they had gone off into a ravine or off a cliff or something and he broke his neck and died instantly his date was in bad shape too but she was from another town and no one knew her. I was not actually that torn up about this dying business, I had not known the kid really well, I had one class with him as a sophomore and I had been in on a large group date with him in the party. I was sad in a general sense of 'that's too bad somebody my age died' but I honestly wasn't personally affected. All the girls at the prom started crying though, wailing and needing hugs. This would normally please me as it would seem like a way to get some physical contact with girls but these were decidedly unsexy hugs, slobbering and goobery from crying. I was afraid, in my spectacularly self-centered way, that I was losing my chance here for a little making out. That was the truth, a kid he just died - snuffed out in the prime of youth and I only considered whether that would affect my chances at getting a little kiss action. Surprisingly that's not the least and disingenuous thing I ever did concerning this kid actually; but that is a story I will have to get to. The mood of the prom had come down quite a bit and we left early to change back into regular clothes and hang out at a friend's house and while my date would try to watch a movie and I would try and score some sweet lovin'.