Prom - The Zoo is Hard to Find

My plan for prom was to go out to someplace far away in the big city to impress my date with my awesome knowledge of the landscape and my world wise savoir-faire in providing exotic romantic experiences. To that end I planed to go to visit the zoo. Hey, kids love the zoo and in the eyes of the law we were still technically kids. The zoo closest to where we lived was sort of like a prison for animals. If you like seeing big cats pacing in a cell made of cement blocks, sad and doing the cat equivalent of dragging a cup against the bars then you were in for a treat - a real treat. I looked up the directions of how to get there but in the dark ages of middle 90's the GPS was not readily available, the cell phone was for yuppies in movies and the internet was basically useless. I wrote down the directions which, like all directions, assumed that I would stay on the path set out and not make wrong turns rendering them useless. The morning of prom I went and picked up my date, drove up to the big city, got off the right exit, got off the second right exit and then proceeded to miss the zoo completely. I then tried again and then I tried again and my date was getting pretty evidently cranky with me for not knowing my way and I was trying to pretend like I was almost there and this little snafu would be shortly remedied. I stopped and asked directions and the guy at the gas station gave me directions which I tried following and still couldn't find it. I stopped another place for directions and the guy didn't speak English and I got the wrong directions as well either by misunderstanding or simply because that guy hated teenagers looking for the zoo. By the time I had not found the zoo this time we'd been driving for about 2 1/2 hours not gettign there and the vibe was not the charming hand-holdy pre-kissing one I had hoped to cultivate. I know it's pretty impressive to a date when you get lost and this was no exception. I eventually conceded that we didn't have much time left in order to make it back get changed and meet our group for dinner, so we we stopped at a Subway restaurant, ate lunch and drove home in a bit of a crank. Pretty slick.