50/20 Again, This Time With Beratement

I told you before about walking the 50 miles in 20 hours race, I actually ended up doing it three more times. The middle two are not terribly interesting just a lot of walking and a lot of pain. The fourth time I did it though there was some drama. The drama came almost entirely because this time through I brought my girlfriend. I told her it was a good experience and that she would do fine and it would be fun to do, because I am a liar. My dishonest methods for convincing her to come along aside she did really seem interested in trying a test of her endurance. We started out two blocks from my house early in the afternoon figuring to get a jump on it and it was pretty smooth sailing for about the first 10 miles. I find that in a pinch even those without much athleticism or training can do about 10 miles before they collapse. 10 to 25 miles starts to weed out all the people who were not really that interested or dedicated. On the route we were taking miles 10 to 25 went through a canyon across a highway and into the night and that is when we started to slow our pace and settle into the grind. By the time we got to the halfway mark all of our friends given up and gone home so it was just her and I in the dark cooling night. From the halfway mark of the 35 mile mark she started to get increasingly cranky about the physical pain. I'm the type of person who actually likes to hear someone else complain so that I can in turn be stoic and its kind of a power trip. It started to make her even more angry that I was acting like I felt nothing and I wouldn't complain. From 35 miles to 45 miles, which took us about three hours, she stopped and yelled at me a couple of times and even punched me a time or two to try to get me to complain which made it a lot funnier for me and the distraction was more than welcome. I think the race can be divided into three equal parts, the first 30 miles, the next 15 and the last 5. That last 5 miles when the sun is coming up and you have walked through the whole night and every part of your body is in immense pain and the only thing that can keep you going is the humor you find in your girlfriend's unadulterated rage. That last 5 miles took us about two hours and for virtually the whole time she was yelling at me, cursing at me telling me, telling me how much she hated me how stupid an idea this race was and I would just tell her that if it was too hard for her she could just quit. It was especially delicious because she was always going on about how much more pain and suffering women could endure than men. I was making very calm and understated observations about the intense pain that was racking my body and how the key for me was to let my body be subject to my will. When we turned the last corner and were only a half of a mile away from the finish line she broke down and was crying and leaning on me and telling me she was glad that we did this thing together. I was in no condition physically or mentally to be leaned upon in any sense but she wanted to walk in together hand in hand and I was too far down the rabbit hole to resist. Arm in arm we stumbled to the finish cried, hugged and got in the car to drive home. I was so tired that I drove off the road and into a field when the road unexpectedly teed. I backed out and got us home okay. I dropped my girlfriend off and then went to bed and didn't wake up for 18 hours.