Prom – Tastes Fishy

For the dinner date portion of our evening we went to the nicest restaurant that was available within 20 miles and was also in our price range. It was a swank little steakhouse by the name of Carvers it has since gone out of business in that location largely because of their high prices and shady business practices which I will enumerate straight away. I opened the menu and steadied myself as I started noticing the prices and got a little panicked because I didn't know that appetizers cost $10 and that dinners cost $30. I sat back and nodded approvingly while trying to find the least expensive thing for myself and endure the brunt of my dates order. I was hoping against hoping that I had enough brought enough cash to cover the meal. she started up by ordering a stuffed portobello mushroom appetizer of which she took one bite of and decided it tasted like human fleash, gagged a little, hurried for a cleansing sip of soda and pushed aside. Well there was a quick $10 experiment that I'll never get back. When we're going over the entrée menu she asked if the swordfish was very fishy, because she hated fish and the waiter assured her the swordfish was not a very fishy fish and she would probably like it. I thought for $24 she better like it. Anyway, it may come to little surprise to those of you who were able to guess from the 'fish' half of the name swordfish that it, brace yourself, tasted like fish. This also got a single nibble, a gag and a quick trip to the sanctifying flavor of Pepsi cola. I was getting pretty irritated about laying out $40 now for her meal which she done nothing with but taste, gag and drink a soda. I ate mine all the way down to the glazing, and then ate hers all the way down to the ground including the human flesh flavored portobello appetizer. No wonder they went out of business selling swordfish that, of all things, tasted exactly like fish.We headed out to go to the dance and as we left the restaurant which just cost me $90 for the two of us to not eat dinner she informed me that she was starving to death needed to stop at Wendy's to get kids meal. She got a chicken nugget kids meal and some ketchup the put on the chicken nuggets and said that was the best thing in the world. I pointed out there was a way we could have gotten them and saved $90. Or, with a little bit of deduction, realized that the swordfish would taste like fish. This made her very defensive and she was in a huff for about an hour as we drove to the site of the prom. I guess the important part was the experience and what price can you put on the experience of turning your nose up and fate gagging at dinner?