Prom - I Go For Kissing

Now there, I've been caught lying and repented now I will go back to the story now. After we finished up at the courthouse, where the prom was being held, all done crying over dead peers and dancing a little we headed back to a friend's house; or more accurately a friend of a friend's house. At that time he had the fanciest house I had ever seen, by today's standards it's pretty average, anyway we were there under the pretense of watching a movie. When we got there my date and I changed back into more casual clothing and I sat close to her on the couch hoping we would get into some hand holding or something more. Other couples were engaging in various stages of cuddling and kissing and heading off to more private venues. I was starting to get pretty jealous when our host and his date, a very cute girl, headed back to his bedroom for some mutual respect. . .probably. After a couple of hours the movie wrapped up and we decided it was time to go home so I drove my date the whole doing that junior high kind of thing where I put my hand on the seat in between us hoping that she would meet me half way and hold it. I had been pretty exclusive with her, hanging out every night, doing stuff, and going on several dates, for about two months which to my young still forming mind seem like an eternity. I was more used to getting right down to business on day one, or date two, or in extreme situations date three. She had been a harder nut to crack. We pulled up in my little white truck in front of her house and I turned off the engine. I unbuckled my seat belt and turned towards her and asked if she wanted me to walk her to the door she said 'no', pretty firmly. I talked to her for bit about what we did and what other people did and if she had a good time and what she thought about the dead kid. She had her hand on the door handle and was looking towards her door which is a universal symbol for dates being over so I told her that I had a really good time put my arm close to where I could gather her in around her waist and tried to close the distance for little smoochy smooch. My vinyl seats made her next move preternaturally quick as she spun on her butt and rotated her knee up and into my chest to block me from the impending kiss. She said, 'No.' In the firm manner one uses to address a dog that is about to poop where he mustn't. It was absolutely humiliating and much beyond salvageable. She said that she was sorry but that she didn't want to kiss me. She opened the door and closed the distance to her house rather quickly. I stayed there in the dark car for a moment, confused and facing a kiss-less existential crisis. I decided that if I was going to have a pity party I should do it on the way home. The problem was I only lived a few blocks away and that didn't give much time for an angsty self-pitying rage cry at my failure, at the idea that kids could die, and at the confusion I felt about the girl who as far as I could tell I was in love with. I tried pulling it together before I went in – I cursed myself, and my abortive attempt at kissing, and the fates, and the gods and the universe. I pounded the steering wheel, dried my tears, and went in to tell my mom what a great night I had. When she asked why I'd been crying I told her that a boy I knew from school had died that night. I wasn't really crying about him but the idea of youth snuffed out and love unrequited but it seemed like too much to say and I was tired.