Mom Blows Up The Van and I Have To Save Us From Murder


My mom is not a friend to the motor vehicle and she tried for years to out duel our
various modes of transportation in mortal combat. Given a year or two she
would invariably grind her mechanical nemesis into submission or send it right home to
Jesus and all the pretty angels. By this time in my life she had wrecked into a tow truck
rolled another truck and had blown engines and transmissions with reckless abandon.
Fender benders? Like most women indulge in chocolate. On this trip we had gone south a few
hundred miles to visit some of my dad's family and he had stayed home. On the trip back we
were all sleeping in the back and on the benches when arose such a clatter that we all
awoke to see why we were suddenly choking on noxious fumes. The reason was because
the engine had blown up as a result of driving up a very steep hill in the red part of the
tach-o-meter because we were in a hurry to get home before my mom succumbed to her
other weakness, napping while driving. A classic rock and a hard place to choose your own poison situation. We all scrambled out and away from the smoking van in case it was going to exploded more. We were still in the time before cell phone ubiquity and when the smoke had quite literally cleared my mom started to try and flag someone down. We were thirty miles from any town so even after she got a ride it was going to take hours to save us and she left the other children in my charge for all manner of roadside horrors to befall us. It was a new moon and very dark and lonely on the deserted road and my imagination started to run through all of my ethical and moral obligations in the event of a encounter with a drug crazed serial killing Nazi psychopath. I determined that my personal obligation unfortunately included defending my siblings even at the cost of my own life. Diddly-darn-dangit. Therefore, I spent the balance of the time regretting my fate and hoping no one, no evil-doer at least would stop and see that I was the only line of defense between them and rape and murder. . .or worse. Somehow, we didn't die that night on a dark stretch of I-15 by no fault of my mother who took five hours to organize a rescue. When the cavalry arrived my fear disappeared and I felt grownup and deputized into quasi adulthood. Maybe that is when I discovered the terror of stewardship.