I Bring Water Bugs and my Mom is Embarrassed

I will never be ashamed of you.

I was invited to that whole wheat cookies neighbor's house for a birthday party for the kid a year younger than me. I had just caught a whole lot of animals from the local irrigation pond so I was going to gift him a mason jar full of them because it was the coolest thing I could think to give a ten year old. It was pretty awesome, like a boat-man bug slash tadpole bouquet. It was a hit at the party and everyone wanted to look at them and hold the jar and I was feeling like the king of the neighborhood until I went home and my mom asked me what I had given the kid for his birthday because she had forgotten about the party and never bought a present. I told her I had given him a jar full of tadpoles and boatmen and that he had loved it. She was mortified that I had given a gift like that and she headed right out to get him a real legitimate non-shameful to her gift. She bought him a model of a car to build and ran it right over while I went to my room and had a cry. When she came home she told me that the neighbor kid's mom was surprised that she had brought him a gift because the jar of pond life had been his favorite present and had inspired an expedition to go explore which is where he was when my mom went to save face. I was so heartbroken that my mom had been ashamed of my gift that I didn't want to listen to her apology. I learned my lesson though and I have always given the gift I think the person would really appreciate and not something off the assembly line.  
I already gave him a model mom, of metamorphic perfection.