Cole Can Drive


Well, now if I finally have my stories strait I will go back to when I was a sophomore. My friend Cole had a birthday early on in the year and that was very important because he was able to drive way, way way before I could. Sometimes he would use his powers for good and drive when we were going out on the weekends and sometimes he would use his powers for evil, like taking a cute girl for a ride and not inviting me. Mostly he would dive me to or from school and every lunch take me with him to go eat at McDonalds. He would drive me down with him and whomever else could fit in the cab of his big green truck and he would order a Big Mac meal and then he would work the magic of a Payson Lions card and get me a free quarter pounder with cheese. The Payson Lions card was a fundraiser that the football team would sell every year that had year long promotional coupons printed on the front of a credit card sized card. When McDonalds signed on probably didn't expect that it would be giving away a hundred or so sandwiches on a buy one get a free sandwich with any combo purchase deal. The munge factor is pretty high among those Cole drove for so it was not only the food he was buying but gas to go out on weekends and to go rock climbing. He would always claim that one would have to pay him back for such trips in monetary remuneration, marijuana or sexual favors in a clever little aphorism that could be easily set in a real classy needle point; “Cash, grass, or ass; no one rides for free.” This was not a hard and fast rule and the exceptions far outpaced the collections. Cole loved that truck and he took exceptional care of it cleaning and detailing it and almost never almost killing us by sliding off the freeway in icy conditions. After the near slide off he told me that he had been more worried about damaging his dad's truck then coming to any personal harm.