Letters and Notes and Phone Calls


 In the days before text messaging and cellphone world domination the only way you could communicate was via land line and the written word. Written on paper, you know? With a pen or pencil. After I got a little more comfortable talking to Monica on the phone and got over my anxiety we actually hit it off pretty good but there was that problem of having to coordinate phone calls and leave messages with her mom or dad. She could have called and left me messages but I would have never known because my family is constitutionally incapable of answering the phone or taking messages. Sometimes I would give her a call and ask why she hadn't been in touch and she would claim to have called six times and never gotten through. Sounds plausible. In addition to our phone calls we also would employ that quaint 19th century convention, the letter. There is still, for me at least, no comparison in the level of excitement between reviving an actual paper letter hand delivered by the post-person. She would write all kinds of flirty things and send pictures which legitimized my long distance love interest in the eyes of my skeptical friends. What older trick is there in the nerd playbook then having a hot sexually insatiable girl friend who lives just beyond the verifiability of his, hopefully, deeply impressed friends? I had written documentation and photographic evidence to back my claims of a reasonably attractive girl who was interested in me. The best thing about having a other town love interest is that she didn't come up on the radar of my more parochial potential paramours. Displacement in either temporal and physical terms is essential to an effective war on two fronts. Girls tend to get a very narrow definition of love in their minds and assume that a young man can only feel genuine lust affection for one lady at a time. Sure that is probably true most of the time but if anything I was the exception that ruled the proof. I had seen the tragic consequences for boys less diligent in the separation of spheres and had taken great pains to ensure such a unfortunate fate and subsequent naming and shaming would not befall me.