Jordan Works for Me


 That summer between my sophomore and junior year I worked with my dad and my friend Jordan was looking for a job so he was also working with my dad and I. We rode to jobs in a truck with a crudely drawn picture of an elk on the door which we called the Elk Truck. You know? Because of the picture of the Elk. Our typical say would start with me going to pick up Jordan at his house across town in the truck that had no radio, heater or air conditioner. I would get to his house and he would not be ready or even be out of bed most days. I would have to roust him out and then wait for him to get dressed and then diddle-doodle around getting breakfast. When we finally hit the road thirty to forty-five minutes later I was stressed because we were late and my dad was going to yell at me. In these pre-cellphone days everyone had to make a plan and stick to it or else all was lost. A miss communication could cost us a days work as we would never be at the right place at the right time. So when I spent the morning trying to get Jordan to wok my dad would be at the job fidgeting himself to a ever increasing level of frustration rage. When we got there my dad would yell at me, not Jordan, about being late. I would apologize and explain that I was ready on time but I had to spend an hour or so getting the help on board. He would just keep complaining and fussing about our lost time. We would work on through the day and then head home and go rock climbing up the canyon by Jordan's house. Then the next morning I would go and try to get Jordan back out of bed. Wash, rinse and repeat – all summer long.