The Kremlin? Who the Heck Knows That?


 Every year there was a battle of wits in the state of Utah called the Geography Bee. It all started out with a teacher asking everyone in their class geography questions to whittle down the winners and losers. Strangely, the winners in this game were, in general population, usually considered losers. I was in Mr. Blacks class when they were culling the intellectual herd and the starting questions were easy. When the unworthy were sat down one by one there were two girls and another boy and I that went to the middle school final where we faced the four students from the other class in front of the whole school. Everyone was sat indian style in the hall and the eight of us were at desks and I was excited based on the questions we had been asked in the classroom round I was feeling confident. The questions started at the other end from me and they were all pretty easy. I was the last one to go in the first round and the kid next to me was asked to name a phase of the moon. Oh, I wanted that one. The boy answered and then it was my turn to show everyone how smart I was and the teacher in charge asked me where the Kremlin was located. I was crushed, I had never heard the word Kremlin and I feigned deep thought to buy time but there was no info on that topic in my brain. I answered badly wrong and was eliminated and had to go sit down with kids of average and below average intelligence. It was like that moment at a party when you think, 'Man only nerds come to things like this.' The you realize that you are, in terrible point of fact, there and ipso facto nerdy. Well I was sitting down with not the smartest kids in the school which means that someone up their on the panel was the smartest and it broke my heart. I had so little going for me socially, in being cool, in having girlfriends, in having cool clothes or stuff and now my one best thing I was not best at and it hurt deeply. Because I am a jerk when I didn't win I just wanted the winner to lose a quickly as possible in district competition,he did and I was happy. Stupid Kremlin stealing my chance of geography immortality.