Faking Sick to Miss Performances


 I had a problem of wanting to be in the limelight and being terrified of being in the limelight. Whenever there were public speaking opportunities in school or church I always volunteered. I was sincerely planning on doing it when I volunteered but then I would start to think of how nervous I would be and I would start to get second thought. Second thoughts would become third thoughts and third thoughts are a dark place in my mind which is right next door to equivocation. Finally, as the day and time approached I would be in full retreat not even bothering with rationalization. I would sometimes just 'forget' the occasion and try to miss the whole event or at least appear so unprepared that the MC would recognize I must have forgotten and let me off the hook. If the situation was dire I would fake sick sometimes getting the back story established the day before to make sure that I was believable. One time when I was faking sick to miss giving a talk in church I had stayed home and was taking a nice hot bath when my brother burst in on me and told me that my dad had told the congregation that I was home but if I had a talk to give he would round me up. Instead of talking first the allowed me to move into the back time slot giving me time to get to church. I got dressed and walked the two blocks to the church in abject terror barely able to breathe and feeling like I was going to pass out. I made it before the close and walked up to the podium and choked something out and felt vindicated somehow. This seems like a time where I would have learned my lesson because my bluff was so spectacularly called but the next chance that I had to take on the public speaking responsibilities I jumped at the chance and then didn't show up. Over the years I flaked on virtually every possible performance from speaking, to musical, and even dance. If I could volunteer for it, I did and then I didn't.