A Tampon is Not A Joke


 That same girl caused quite a stir in the middle school when she used a tampon to vandalize the girl's bathroom with a practical joke. We were all sitting in class when a girl came running in and was hysterical crying and freaking out about something she wouldn't say in front of the class so the teacher went out in the hall with her where our scout who selflessly placed him self in eavesdropping range heard something about a tampon. I think most if not all of the boys in the class did not know what that was or why it would make a girl freak out like she did. Luckily, one of the young ladies, unencumbered by shame, demonstrated what a tampon was by gesturing spread legs with one hand and a finger representing the tampon with the other hand rather violently jamming into her finger crotch. She was saying “You know? For that time of the month.” No actually, no. The teacher came back in and asked if any of the girls had made a mess in the bathroom. None said they had. One girl who had been in the bathroom and came back told us all said that there was a bloody tampon stuck to the mirror. I at least was not sure what that meant but it sounded nasty. Well, someone ratted someone out and it was discovered that it was a rather tasteless practical joke involving a tampon and a ketchup based blood analog. The teacher came and gave us all a talking to after it was cleaned up and told us that, 'a tampon is not a joke'. Everyone talked about it and speculated about it and I was still not sure what exactly had gone on but I was not showing my ignorance so I repeated the story with the gravity it seemed to merit. Years later when I understood how truly foul of a joke it was I a little more disgusted and was glad that even though I didn't know what it was for sure that I had lived my life by the, 'a tampon is not a joke' maxim.