I Have a Hole in My Shoe


 My mom would buy me shoes when I needed them, every time. However, I was the type of kid who never thought about what I needed until it was too late and then I would get into dire straits. Once we were having an assembly, which in Santaquin middle school consisted of the four classes of students coming out and sitting in the wide part of the hall. There was no room for chairs so we had to sit on the ground Indian style. Maybe we are not supposed to call it Indian style anymore but back then in the wild and wooly 80's sitting with your legs crossed in front of you may have had a racially insensitive name. I was sitting Indian style at first and I remembered that I had a hole in the sole of my shoe and tried to tuck it under my leg so no one else could see. My plan of hiding my shoe hole was working flawlessly until I got excited about answering some question or another and popped up to my knees to be a little more visible to the the raised hand recognizer. When I did the cute and cool girl sitting right behind me noticed the hole in my shoe and mentioned it to the girl sitting next to her load enough for me to hear. She said some thing about her gosh, and how she couldn't believe I would come to school with holes in my shoe, and then something about how I was a scrounge and my family was poor. I was humiliated but it was to late to back up and re-cover my shoe hole, even though the thought crossed my mind. I decided on a recency gambit and turned and told the girl that my shoe had ripped a hole in the sole at recess and that I was going to get new shoes tomorrow. She said I better or else I couldn't come back to school because you had to have good shoes at school. I should had known she really didn't have the authority to kick me out of school for not having good enough shoes but it made me nervous non the less and I went home and told my mom that I couldn't go back to school until I had new shoes. She yelled at me for not telling her before I had a huge hole in the bottom of my shoe and we loaded up and headed over to Pay-Less to get a pretty sweet new pair of XJ900s. I went from shoe shame to shoe unreasonable pride in just a few hours. Being basically fashion retarded I somehow brainwashed myself into thinking that the other kids would be pretty impressed by these cool looking shoes. The next day I was conspicuously showing off my new shoes to the cute girl who had insulted my holes ones and she said she thought I said I was going to get some nice shoes and not just XJ900s. Well, that required another layer of lies that had me claiming that these were just temporary and I was going to get some Nike Airs just as soon as we had the time to get up to the mall. This was not true but I was so low below her interest she never followed up with me to call my bluff.