I Go Back to School


 At the end of the summer my mother decided it was time for me to get out of the house and go back to school to work on my social skills. I didn't see the need. I had some friends three to four years younger than me a psychopathic one my own age. Social skills, Schmoscial skill I say. But it was once more into the breach and everyone else already knew how this home room and then changing classes thing worked I was terrified that I would be hopelessly confused and then mockery and shame would inevitable follow. What I didn't know is that I was beyond the bottom of the social ladder and mockery a nd shame would have at least made people pay attention to me which is the unofficial bottom rung – Acknowledgment of Existence. I went shopping for clothes at all of the usual thrift stores and bargain retailers and assembled what looked to me in the bathroom mirror at home, like a pretty sweet look. I probable thought it looked pretty sweet because I had not had contact with kids my own age in so long that I had failed to notice that gray corduroy paired with a red and gray stripped polo was not cool, and had never been cool. It was only passable if you were too young to protest what your mother was putting on you. I was actually starting to get excited to go to school as the day rolled around and I was able to to get my reintegration in action. It was a little embarrassing to re-meet all of the regulars and meet for the first time some of the kid who had moved in. They asked where I had been for the last year and I went with an instant classic, I told them I was too smart for school so I was working on my own preparing to go to college early and I was just coming back to work on my social skills. This little exaggeration was quickly seized upon by the mockers and I was teased about being too smart for school and one kid would always ask me if I was in college yet. No not yet smart ass. Not yet.