I Do Some Chemistry


 My history teacher in seventh grade was always trying to take me down a peg for some reason. He would always ask me questions that were beyond my knowledge to stump me and then publicly tell me that I wasn't as smart as I thought I was. He also told my mom that in my parent teacher conference. He told he that I was too confident in my intelligence and that he wanted to bring me down to reality. What an inspiring teacher and great man. One day he was inexplicably in my science class and was telling us that we really needed to pay attention or we would be burried in Jr. High and High School science. To prove his point he went and wrote a chemistry equation on the board out of a book that was on the shelf. It was long but a fairly strait forward problem that I already knew how to solve. He asked, rhetorically, if any of us thought that we could solve a problem like that. I said I could and he was skeptical but more than willing to let me go down in flames and let me come up and try. I started in quickly and had the problem worked out in about two minutes working as fast as I could. The funny part was that the teacher didn't know the correct solution and had to look it up to check that I was right. Despite himself he was impressed and he went and got a fairly good stack of baseball cards which he publicly awarded me. I normally would have made a sassy comment about how I was as smart as I thought I was but I was too elated by the success to gloat I was just glowing and solidified my nerd credentials.