I Fake Experimental Data


 The highlight of seventh grade for me was that we had a science class. Before that it was a little nature or geology segment here and there but nothing regular. Now there was an hour everyday dedicated to science of all varieties and it was my favorite class. The teacher was a single woman in her late thirties that was really vivacious and fun like a non-magical Ms. Frizzle. She loved her job and teaching kids and had fun with it which made it a great class. I liked the scientific forum of a captive audience so much that not long after the school year started I asked If I could do a presentation on the phases of water for the class for extra credit. She said it would be great if I wanted to do it the next Friday even though we both knew it was not for extra credit because this is one class I never let slip. When She told me I could do it I was very nervous it is what I wanted but when I had it I was not sure if I had really wanted what I got. I ran home after school as fast as I could conflicted between the sheer exhilaration of getting to do a presentation and the terror of public speaking. I started to assemble the demonstration materials, I got some glass jars, I hotplate, and some ice made to fit just snugly in the glass jars. All I needed was some liquid nitrogen and I asked my mom to please get me some. She was hesitant to get me liquid nitrogen for two reasons, it was extremely expensive and it was extremely dangerous. We settled on some nice dry ice. I had everything ready a week in advance and had written up a script based on my research from the World Book Encyclopedia and had all of my poster boards drawn and annotated. I was so excited I told everyone I got to teach the class on Friday, a claim that all of the other kids greeted with skepticism. So much so that they asked the teacher if it was true and in that second before she answered in the affirmative my heart sank thinking she may have forgotten or I misunderstood and she was going to deny it. If she would have denied it I would have cried left school and never come back, that was the plan at least. She confirmed my demonstration with enthusiasm and I was full up past my eyes with pride and excitement. When Friday came I brought in all the stuff except the dry ice and regular ice because my mom was going to bring that after lunch right in time for class. When lunch was over I ran right to science class and started setting up on the front table I was going from ice on the left to liquid in the middle and vapor on the the right. My mom was supposed to be there right at 12:30 and like many children I thought that meant she would be in the building at 12:30. 12:35 rolled around and she was still no there and a black smiley lump of terror that my mom had forgotten, which she had done before on less important days started to fill my heart and I started to hyperventilate a little. She showed up before I died and she turned over the precious ices and stayed in the back of the room to watch. I started the presentation by placing the dry ice in the first jar and the ice in a pan to the side the idea being that the dry ice would freeze the water in the jar dramatically while the other ice melted showing the phase change to and from ice simultaneously then I would turn on the hotplate and boom! Steam. In my head it all took 60 seconds and was awesome in real life it took forever and was not awesome The ice was melting okay and the water with the dry ice was bubbling a little but it was not freezing. The hotplate was not particularly hot on the water was just sitting in that one. I was loosing the audience and they were starting to fidget and chat so after ten minutes and my script and data were long since spent I stood up dramatically and claimed I saw Ice crystals and a little bit of steam coming off of the hot plate water just to end my moment of not triumph. Instead of making me more popular and interesting I think the kids were mainly bored and uninterested but there is no accounting for taste right?