Shinboggining


 There was a hill of death on the north side of the middle/elementary school. We we only allowed to sled in one section of the hill and that section would get iced over and extremely dangerous. There were accidents and on-purposes all day long every time there was snow or ice to sled on. I didn't have a sled but I would try and sabotage other sledders by waiting until they started going and then I would jump on their back and ride the 100 feet or so down the hill and then jump off and run away before they could retaliate. There was one boy who was rather portly for his age that had a long fluffy coat made of some sort of very slippery plastic and he used to get a run, jump and then slide down on his coat like an otter or penguin might. This was a temptation too great for me to pass up and I used to stand around and wait for him to get his run up going, time it, and then jump on and ride him down and abscond before he could give me a smack. He hated this game as much as I loved it. One day he was hanging around the top of the hill on the icy sidewalk precipice and a boy decided that he was done waiting for the chance to ride this boy down the hill ambush style and decided to throw him down so we could ride. When I saw what was going down I grabbed on and helped drag him to the edge and then jumped on for the ride. We jumped off at the bottom and he tried to smack us both but we were long gone and the bell rang so we went in. After I was in class, coat off and warming up, the call came over the PA that the other rider and I were to come to the office immediately. I knew what it must be about and my heart went cold and a sticky weight was all around my head and chest. I made the walk down to the now familiar principals office and the secretary told me to sit on the couch with the other perp. We sat and waited while we heard an irate mother yell about abuse and punishment for whomever did this to her son. We were let in and The boy and his mother were in the two available chairs and so we stood to hear what our trouble was going to be. The principal asked our version which I gave about riding him down the hill on his coat. I left out the part about dragging him over and throwing him down. The ridden boys mom was outraged at my omission and asked if I was proud of myself for almost killing her boy. She had her son show us all the cloth burns on his neck where the drawstring had cut into the flesh there as we drug him by his hood and I used it for a handle for the ride down. I was sad for what I had done but I was half this boy's size and I was wonder why I was the focus of the blame when my clearly much bigger and stronger co-defendant was being almost overlooked. I think it was because I had coined the phrase Shinboggining, a term to describe ridding this kid down the hill based on his last name which was Shinberger or something like that. The mom asked if I had called ridding her son Shinboggining and I admitted that it was a term I had used and she asked again if I was proud of myself, I said I was not. I said I was very sorry and that we were just messing around and that we didn't want to hurt him. I felt terrible but worse when they said I was going to expelled for a day and my parents were going to have to come in and have a talk with the principal. My dad was most happy with us kids when we were not embarrassing him so I knew I was in for some spank/grounding situations when I got home with the news. I was spot on in my prognostication. I was grounded for two weeks and got a spanking, maybe the last of my life as far as I remember and my dad made me take a treat over to the ridden boy's house and apologize to him and his parents. After my suspension I steered clear of the sledding hill because like a guy in AA the best thing is to avoid temptation and relapse. I have never ridden a fat kid with a slippery coat down a hill again, but one day at a time is how I get by.