We Tussle


 Well, like I said, it was not a huge school and eventually old Mr. Dirt-Bag Bully and I were bound to cross paths in a relatively unregulated environment. Then like the cowardly date rapist, he was going to want things to get physical despite my protests. That day came when I was at lunch. I had eaten a healthy, well rounded meal of french fries and pizza from what was euphemistically called the 'snack lunch' line in the cafeteria so I was naturally well nourished and ready for anything. I had stayed close to some athletic and large friends of mine whenever possible to keep the high testosterone Troglodyte at bay. Were were all sitting in one of two Kivas that were in the common areas. These Kivas were a series of concentric squares that stepped down at 2' intervals to provided a depressed seating area that started out about 12' square and the bottom well was about 4' square. While I was sitting there explaining to a kid named Frank why my pants had patches on them that simulated that look of airmail stamps a chunk of rice crispy treat hit my arm and stuck. I looked up and there was my nemesis sneer laughing from about ten feet away. I picked the morsel off of my shirt and fired it right back at him trying to hit him in his stupid looking face. I missed but I hit his shirt dead in the center chest and he instantly switched from bully chuckle to bully rage and closed to distance to me in what seemed like preternatural time. I was still sitting and he pressed in close to me, face to face, him standing and me twisted at the waist. He asked me what in the heavily accented eff word I thought effing doing – and as an addendum to to question declared once again that I was a pussy. I told him that he had accidentally dropped some rice crispy and I had given it back to him, helpful soul that I was. He got madder and told me it was not an accident that he was trying to hit me with it. He told me I had better get it off of him or I was going to die. I straitened and stood up on the top of the Kiva, slowly as to not release the chemicals of alarm into his barely developed brain. I imagined that is acute stress reaction might just be fight-or-fight and I needed a second to get in good posture. When I was standing on the edge of the Kiva I was actually a few inches taller then my antagonist and in a burst of white hot nerd rage instead of brushing off the crumb and trying to avoid the fight I punched him as hard as I could on the collar bone. He was shocked and staggered for a tick as were most of the spectators then he bull rushed me which sent us both tumbling into the small square well at the bottom of the Kiva and may have saved my life. In that space we were both unable to mount a serious offense or defense and there was a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing (I guess you know what that means about the narrator.). We were broken up, I was disheveled but basically unscathed and my opponent looked much the worse for wear as we were pressed by our shoulders into the principals office to have a chat. This was my third trip in six weeks so I knew my way. When the principal asked our story the bully said that I had just attacked him for no reason and showed him the bruise that was flowering between his shoulder and neck. I told him about the constant bullying and that he had thrown food on me and then attacked me tackling me into the bottom of the well. I was much more eloquent and forty pounds lighter then this kid so it was not hard to sell my victim story. It was mostly true with a little shading and with the parts about starting a joke about him being an exhibitionist left out. I was cautioned to avoid fights and the other kid was suspended for two days. Ha ha ha ha ha. I was smiling uncontrollably as I walked the empty halls back to class and when I walked into class I had trouble keeping the smile in check as everyone disregarded the teacher when someone asked what happened. I said I would tell whoever was interested later and class went on while I whispered the details of the fight and the suspension to my closest neighbors. Then the story was embellished and compounded until it was I who had initiated the fight and threw the much bigger bully down the Kiva steps before I broke his collar bone with a precision punch. I didn't disabuse these notions. The next Monday when his suspension had been served the bully was back in classes much subdued and as far as I remember never said anything to me ever again which suited me fine. He dropped out a few years later and I never saw him again.