I Am In Big Trouble


 I was once again bodily towed from the classroom down the hall this time with two halves of a chair and a very, very angry teacher. She had been pushed to far this time and she was not going to stop until I was gone for good. She didn't even worry about picking up the other kid or cleaning up or calming the class she was just marching me strait to the principals office swearing forth oaths of eternal vengeance. She said I was getting suspend which scared me but then she said I would have to pay for the chair I had broken and she estimated that they cost about eighty dollars. Eighty dollars sounded to me like a life sentence of indentured servitude. I was terrified of what was about to go down. We got back to the principal's office in what was now my fifth trip in three months. I was sat down in the principals office while she told him what had gone on and then went to get her stack of disciplinary write-up papers. While she was gone the principal sat down and sighed and rubbed his face and asked me if I knew how many of his last ten discipline problems were kids from Santaquin. I thought I guessed high with five. The correct answer was all ten. He asked me what I thought made us all so crazy. I declined to offer a suggestion owing to the sudden and intense dryness of my mouth and the rapid beating of my heart. My parents were called and a meeting was arranged and I stayed at school for an hour after it let out to have our pow-wow. My mom was really upset about having to come back a third time and she seemed to be more sympathetic to the plight of the teacher and principal then my story of having to defend my hair from molestation. They told me I would be suspended for three days which was the rest of the week and I could come back on Monday. When I got home I avoided my dad and was faking asleep when he got back from a late meeting. The next morning when I would avoid him no longer he told me to come to his room and he asked me what this was all about and I tried to make it sound like I was a blameless victim and he knew I wasn't. He told me I would be pulled out of school for a month and I could come to work with him. I loved school, I loved my new friends, I loved going to class and to lunch and in the hall in between. I was devastated and I decided that because I had a little bit of a congestion in my throat already I would really played up a little hyperventilation fit to hopefully sway him into seeing how badly I would cope with this news, like it may cause me death or something. With the threat of my immanent demise hanging over his head like the sword of Damocles he told me to calm down and shut up; he was not impressed. I cried and flailed and wallowed in my misery and then was resigned to my fate. I got sympathy calls from all of my friends who agreed that what I was dealing with was total bull crap and that every adult in the authoritative chain of command was rude and very rude, and stupid and rude. I kind of liked my martyrdom and started playing that up. The chair ended up being $12.80 which I could cover so that was not the worst of it as I had originally feared.