Cheating in Typing Class


 You may have heard the adage about giving a lazy man a job and he will find the fastest and easiest way to do it. Well, that happens to be true, if he actually does it. In a world which requires the constant use of keyboards to interact with the world at large a good skill for me to have acquired would have been typing but I also had lots of friends in typing class and I wanted to hang out with them and talk instead of doing what we were assigned. I unfortunately for my life of typing struggles knew a little bit about keyboard shortcuts and knew how to copy and paste blocks of text. This skill was very useful because the way the class was taught was that we had a typing book that we would set on the side of our monitor and we would copy a paragraph and then recopy it. Or in my case I would copy and then paste and paste and paste it making it appear that I had amazingly fast word-per-minute speed. I would even do this for tests type, Control+C, Control+V. 120 wpm? Yeah, easy if you cheat. The problem was that I didn't know what was realistic and by the time we were six weeks into class and I had posted several WPM rates well above a hundred the teacher was starting to be really impressed even in a class of forty I was standing out. It is bad to stand out if you are a cheater. He was a quite practiced and skilled typist and his times were only at those at their peek and here was a kid, 12-years-old, blowing the doors off this keyboard game he wanted to tell everyone about his new phenom. He told the whole class that I was the fastest and most accurate typist he had ever worked with and he wanted everyone else to work hard like I was. Then he asked me to come up to his desk and show everybody my proper form and technique on the demonstration computer at the front of the class. I agreed and went up because I didn't think to defer out of pretended modesty. I got the the front and his computer had a box over the keys so the typist would only use the correct technique of looking up all the time. I myself didn't use that technique so much as I looked down all the time and typed out the sentence or paragraph and then copied it. I was in way too deep but I went up and tried to type as quickly and as accurately as I could without looking at my hands. I did about seven misspelled words in thirty seconds before the instructor told me to stop and come with him to the office. He didn't accuse me of anything because that would have been below both of our dignities at that point he just asked how I had been cheating. I also showed him enough respect to not try and lie and showed him how a clever student could game the system b using the cut and paste shortcuts. He was not unimpressed by my ingenuity and told me so but he did remind me that this was a typing class not a computer class and I should learn to type because I could use that skill my whole life. He told me to mark on his master record which tests I cheated on and I would get zeros but that is all the punishment I would receive. I came out of the office feeling relived that I only got in a little trouble. I learned my lesson and only cheated within reason for the rest of the semester.