Dressing Like a Clown and Hating Me


 Just after the first semester ended and I had not been to the principals office for a few weeks we rotated classes in the TLC group to the life class which was code for home-economics. The teacher was a great mound of a woman who was bossy and sassy and mean. She was one of those people who was probably picked on as a kid but she really wanted to pay everyone back by being in charge of her little kingdom and being condescending and rude every chance she got. Well, in the words of the incomparable Homie the Clown – 'Homie don't play that'. Every time she would say something in an inconsiderate way I would ask out loud to the class how she might say that in a more positive manner. She was not overly excited about a student correcting her manners. She started being extra picky about my behavior which did not need a lot of nit picking to find flaw with as it was. I was soon being written up and kicked out of her class at a regular pace. I spent many a seventh period out in the hall marking time until school got out and then sometimes she would ask me to stay after to talk about my behavior and twice I missed the bus and in the pre-cell phone wasteland of the early nineties my mom often could not be reached and I would walk the five miles home. The first time she asked for some administrative assistance with controlling me was when she came to school in an all denim one piece jumpsuit with a rainbow colored belt and brightly colored pompoms for buttons. In short, a clown costume. When she walked into class I immediately noticed the outfit and raised my hand until I was called on and I asked if she was ashamed of herself for stealing clothes from what appeared to have been a homeless clown. My joke got a decent laugh from the students but she turned red splotchy with rage and stormed over to me and picked me up by my hair and shirt and yanked me out into the hall. I thought I was going to get beat up by a Junior High HomeEC teacher and was actually fairly concerned. When we got into the hall she threw me against the wall and I cringed and curled preparing for a slap. None came but she asked my why I was always being such a little shit. I said she should not use that word because it made her sound uneducated. She grabbed my shirt again and dragged me around the corner and down the hall to the principal's office and threw me though the door telling the secretary I was to stay there until she got her class under control and then she would be back for a joint conference with the principal. The principal actually started with me before she got back and I told the principal the story in reverse order so I sounded less guilty and the teacher more so. When she got back the story was that I had been disruptive, she pulled my hair and called me a little shit and dragged me bodily down the hall to the principals office. Much of this story was roughly true and the principal was concerned over her language and physical assaults more so than the clever observation I had made about her clown suit looking outfit. I had left out the part about the clown suit in my version of events because I wanted to make sure the principal wasn't confused by what he would probably consider extraneous facts. She was so flustered and out of sorts that when he started questioning her about her behavior she forgot to mention the initial provocation either and she was looking like a very violent and unstable woman while I was putting on my best choirboy face. I was warned to be good in class and she had to stay for some extra talking. By this time school only had five minutes left so I just went and got my stuff from my locker and headed out to the bus stop.