Crystal Pepsi


 There was a time when the big wigs over at Pepsi were thinking that they may be loosing market share because Pepsi was too brown. True story. When I was in junior high we had a closed circuit television system that played what was alleged to be knew but was more like a vehicle to advertize Pepsi to a captive audience. Selling caffeinated sugar water to pre-teens is not exactly hard but you need to make sure they buy your brand of sugar water and not the evil other brand. At one point they introduced a clear version of what was purported to taste like Pepsi. I drank my sugar water from cans a except for a little bit that got caught in the gutter I was unaware and unconcerned with the color. The started pushing it on every ad and they wheeled in special vending machines that sold Crystal Pepsi for 25 cents. That got my attention. 25 cents was the price point at which I would buy as many as my budget would allow. Which was many, many, many, cans of Crystal Pepsi. I didn't like it, it tasted horrid and I couldn't stop buying it because it was a quarter. If I didn't buy it I would be losing money and that is not reasonable. Eventually, they dropped the promotional pricing and I was unwilling to purchase and consume the horrid stuff at fifty cents a pop. I guess everyone else on earth also discovered it was foul and it was quickly no more. They say every man has his price and it seems like mine is twenty five cents.