Breaking Up With my First Girlfriend


 I don't know if I made it clear enough but I was really sensitive to being 'whoo, whoo-ed' even when it was by mostly good natured teasers. I was also mortified by the idea that my girlfriend might want to hold hands at school where I could be teased, Finally, and this was a biggie, I had never kissed a girl on the mouth and just the idea of it would cause me to hyperventilate a little and start planning my exit like a man leaving a burning building. For all these reasons my relationship with my first girlfriend was getting off to a rocky start. Where we had developed some effortless and fun chemistry in our interactions before we were official I suddenly was very self conscious about talking to her and our conversations were really stiff. I also have a tendency to not look people in the eye when I get nervous or am unsure what to do in the social situation I am in and that is disconcerting to exactly everyone who is not autistic. So my days had become a over-thought maze of avoidance and carefully planned interactions that left no time for any PDA potential. When I did see her I would try and give her a quick wave and head on my way while she look at me confused about why I wouldn't come over the twenty feet to talk to her and share a laugh or two. When I got home though I was just fine I could be charming and funny and engaging on the phone because no one could see me and there was no chance that she would be able to try and cuddle up and kiss me. So every day when She or I would call she would always first want to know why I never talked to her at school anymore and my excuses were starting to get more and more ridiculous. On the second week of our 'going out' she had made some plans for us to get together Friday night at the movies. Oh, crap. There was no way that I was going to go into a dark secluded place with a potential kisser it was just not safe. It was Wednesday when she told me the plan and it sent me into a tailspin of anxiety. I told her that sounded awesome and that I would definitely get a ride over to the movie theater to meet her on Friday. I was lying, there was no way in hell I would be going but I didn't know how to get out of it. I thought I could frame up my mom and tell my girlfriend that I was grounded or something but then I thought it would only delay the inevitable. My life had been miserable as a committed man and I decided I needed out. It also did not help that I was getting a constant stream of mockery from the guys in gym class who inexplicably accused me of being a homosexual for having a girlfriend. An example, “Gause, are you really going out with Sarah? You are such a fag.' - and punch shoulder. I was not yet confident enough in my rhetorical skills to point out in a funny way that I was they guy with the girl while they were having a dude's night in on the weekend. I called my girlfriend up on Thursday and told her that we needed to break up, and here is where it gets classic, but I still wanted to be friends. I did really want to be friends but ones with no chance of being kissy face friends. She started to cry a little and asked me why and for some ridiculous reason and with a little bit of very tenuous logic I claimed that one of my good friend-girls, the one who was always trouble, from Santaquin said I should break up with her. As I write this I am ashamed of what a coward I was that I had to throw a friend under the bus in a misguided attempt to save face. I am not even sure what I was trying to get across with my weird excuse but that is why twelve-year-olds should not have girlfriends, because it is ridiculous. We stayed friends until she moved away a few years later in high school, we were never kissy face friends.