Hanging out with Nate and Ryan


The summer after my first year in junior high I wanted to spend a lot of time with my new Payson friends because they were worldly and all kinds of cool. We had our budding relationship hamstringed by a lack of non-parental transportation. Living six miles away meant the play time had to be planned and scheduled and not a drop in kind of thing that kids need for friendship to thrive. Missing out on what I imagined was pretty much limitless fun and debauchery by my unfortunate mechanical separation was not a easy thing for my FOMO (fear of missing out) neurosis. In lieu of those friends I started hanging out with a couple of guys who were two years older than me. A couple of cousins named Nathan and Ryan who I mentioned in the story about Ryan getting stomped out. I was originally Ryan's little brothers friend but by this time I had not hung out with him in a few years and had made the transition up the the family tree. They were pretty cool kids and they thought I had lots of cool projects and opportunities for mischief available so they were along for the ride. Nathan was actually the older brother of the girl my sister tricked me into saying that I wanted to have sex with. That didn't seem to make him like me less and that was good. We spent most of our time riding bikes, fishing and trying to find some girls to talk to in person or on the phone. We had some really good times but they were in high school and I was in junior high so as the summer came to a close we parted amicability and except for a few camping trips with the scouts and getting in fights with some other kids at church basketball never really did much more together after that. Friendly yes, friends no.