Submarine


 Having failed miserably at building a self contained underwater breathing apparatus I took the sensible route and played normal games with other kids. Just kidding, I tried to build a submarine. Once again I was un aware of the need for an air supply so the problem as I saw it was to make an container to hold out the water with some see through parts that I could look through. Simple as that. I got a 55 gallon steel drum and enlisted Justin to help me cut the bottom out of it. I worked out a method myself because I couldn't very well tip my hand about my super cool plan to my overprotective parents. I was not sure of their exact policy on submersibles but I was afraid that the rule may include a strict prohibition so I decided this was one of the forgiveness in lieu of permission situations. We used a hammer and screw driver to start the hole and then we cut it out very slowly with a jig saw. When the bottom was finally out we got a piece of plexiglass out of a storm window and cut it into a matching circle using the same technique. When we had the mating pieces all that was left was to glue them together using some silicone and viola! We had decided on using our legs for the propulsion system because we couldn't think of any other way. This meant that the top of the barrel had to remain open which is a pretty major design flaw in a submarine. We figured what we could do is just keep it at a forty-five degree angle and that would keep our legs and the water out of the open end and we could still see under the waves. Even though I had first go at the scuba equipment I also got to try the submarine first because I understood the inner workings of the system better than Justin and needed to work out the subtleties of our new design. We put the 55 gallon submarine on the back of a bike cart and rode up to the reservoir ready for uninterrupted fun. I put the sub in shallow water and was distressed by its buoyancy it bobbed around uncertainly high above the water and was not very stable. That problem was soon fixed when I jumped in face down over the lip and applied my weight to the contraption. The plexiglass view port instantly imploded flooding the barrel with me upside down from the waist down in it the water filled up around my head and chest as I struggled to free myself. The good news was that the now open pipe of a barrel had stuck firmly in the mud so the stability problems were solved. If I could just stop from dying I might be able to get the water tight issue resolved. I tried at first to pull my head and shoulders out by bending at the waist but I just smacked my head on the inside of the now full barrel it took a few panicked seconds to hit upon the proper extraction technique of pushing up on the rim with my hands until I was clear. For the second time in three weeks I had narrowly escaped drowning at the hands of faulty craftsmanship on brilliant inventions and I decided to give water based exploration a rest. Right after I built a boat.