Mud Digs and Breaking in the Clothes


 Coming from an hillbilly town pays off big time when it is city celebration time. Every year in the fall the town would but on activities for Cherry Days, later changed to orchard days because the other orchards got jealous. There was a parade, car show, fair, beauty pageant, mud digs and rodeo. I will tell you a little about what went on at all of these events but first I want to cover the most important because it is the most awesome – the mud dig. The mud dig is when the local fire department makes a mud ditch about twenty feet wide, three feet deep and 300 feet long. Competitors in several categories of vehicle would rev up at the starting end and then be judged on how well their car, truck, four wheeler or motorcycle went before it got stuck. The spectators got really drunk and sat in the sun and cheered wildly so the situation was win-win. The person going the furthest through the mud was awarded prizes and money so the competition was fierce. People from Santaquin love money so that was a good incentive. You know who else loved money? Me. Yes constant reader your author was deeply motivated by the prospect of found or won money so when the announcers called for all of the young men younger than twelve to line up I was sure that my pure white hot love of money would push my body through the mud and in to the loving arms of the twenty dollar bill that was taped to a fence post at the other end. The single went up and I ran as hard and as fast as I could and found out why the cars and trucks had so much trouble getting through the mud. It was wet and deep and muddy. I slogged to a stop a hundred or so feet from the glory and reward of the currency and exited mud pit left and walked home with the mud caking to my legs. When I got home my mom didn't even care that my feel-bads were hurt by loosing and all she could focus on was the fact that I had begged her to let me wear my new school clothes to look cool and then ran through the mud in them. I couldn't help but think that winning the twenty dollars may have taken the sting out of her reprove. A twenty usually did.