Mom Hates That Newfangled Cartoon


 About the time I was ten a new fad was sweeping the nation and that was a cartoon in prime time about a young man who sassed and skateboarded his was onto every cool kids tee-shirt. We didn't have television so we had no idea what was going on a school with this yellow 'don't have a cow man' saying young iconoclast embraced by the trendsetters. We wanted in on it, of course, but we didn't know what it was exactly. One Sunday we were over at my Grandma 'Other-Mother's' house and 'The Simpsons' was coming on so we finally got to see what all the hype was. It was an episode about Bart stealing Lisa's cupcakes she made for her teacher and my mom hated everything about it. She thought the animation was poor, the writing and voice acting was stilted and Bart need a spank and to be sent to his room. I honestly didn't really like it myself but if it was what the cool kids were up to then I was on board. I was so so intolerable that my mom shut it off ten minutes in and we played a game instead. She forbade us from purchasing Bart's sass mouth slogan tee-shirts, many of which contained the word 'hell' and we banned from school anyway. Soon the writers shifted the focus of the show off of Bart and onto Homer and the writing and animation improved and my mom became a huge fan of the show and would watch the new episodes every Sunday and the taped episodes her friend made for her. In her defense that was a pretty lame episode and not a great season at all but it got better and then it got worse, much worse. She stopped being a fan about the tenth or eleventh season and has pretty much stayed away ever since.