Helicopter of Doom.


When I was in fifth grade they had a book about helicopters in the school library and it was full of pictures and statistics about the capabilities of different helicopters. I fell madly and deeply in love. I drew helicopters and I drew helicopter blueprints and I drew and I drew. That is all I wanted to do at school was look at helicopter books and draw plans for my very own helicopter. There were naturally some engineering hurdles that I would have to overcome. First, how to make it go up in the air. I thought that helicopters worked basically like an air screw and disregarded the more technical lift diagrams that were in the 'official' helicopter book. Second, I needed to steer the machine once it was in the air. I decided to save this problem for after I had a working helicopter, I stop-gaped by planning on tethering the fuselage to the ground. Third, I needed to stop and land my helicopter – once again no big problem in my mind because I had a helicopter that ran on an extension cord so there was nothing to stopping but unplugging. I set to work making my dream flying machine and procured a Radio Flyer knockoff wagon for the chassis and fuselage. I then got the largest spare motor my dad had that ran on 110v power and mounted it with four legs made of metal conduit, one each to the four rounded corners of the little red wagon. I had made the legs tall enough for me to just be able to run the controls which consisted of plugging in the extension cord to the pig tail cord I had installed on the motor. I then tethered the helicopter to the ground with a rope so that it wouldn't fly more than ten feet in the air and the last thing I needed was a propeller. To make a propeller I got the longest 2”x4” lumber we had, a 12 footer, and set the blade of the table saw to a 45 degree angle and sharpened one side half way and the flipped it over and sharpened the other. Newly minted propeller in hand I set up the wagon and the motor to the side of our house so there was no chance my maiden voyage would be cut short because of parental interference. I drilled a hole through the center of the double bladed proto-propeller and epoxied it to the motor shaft. Ready for my maiden voyage into the sky I sat in the cock pit or more accurately couched in the the space under the motor and about to be spinning blade of death. I plugged it in and the blade began to spin slowly and then faster and faster. As the blade gained speed the blade started to shake violently as the eccentricities of the blade were amplified. I wanted out but I didn't have time to eject before things got really out of control. The wagon started to pitch so violently that the blade hit the ground and broke into several long jaggedy stabby pieces. With the lightened load the motor was able to spin much much faster and the wagon tipped over while the motor chewed trenches into the ground inches from my head. Thankfully, the blade caught the extension cord and it wound rapidly around the blade until it pulled it out of the wall stopping the carnage. I am not sure how I escaped injury or even death but the writing was on the wall and I cleaned up my helicopter by taking the broken pieces and hiding them behind the house and gave up on helicopters except for drawing.