Scouts.


 I was a boy scout in a fairly dysfunctional troop of little hell raisers. There were only three scouts my age and so we usually got lumped in with the older boys to make it easier on the long-suffering leaders. I started scouts at age eight with the cubs and managed to get in trouble all the time by exceeding the bounds of good sense and reason pretty much continually. I lost several dad-help-boy car and spaceship races because my dad was not into helping but I learned to take defeat ungraciously. But when you turn twelve you are moved up into the boy scouts which is where they take the leash off and let you not have dad help very much at all so my anarchistic leadership was allowed to flourish and we had some good dangerous times. My first leader in scouts was actually the guy who's sandbox I burned down with Justin and Ryan but he had forgiven me by then and was a great leader who let us do what we wanted after he brought us to the woods. I stood out as a leader of boys so the summer that I turned twelve they signed me up for a boy scout leadership training camp where we were going to learn how to help the leaders mold these rebellious young punks into good citizens. This was also the summer when we would leave our hometown elementary/ middle school for the first time to go to Jr. High in the next town over so there was a lot of new stuff going on which suited me fine because I had not been even remotely successful socially at my old haunts so a change of scenery was just what I needed.