Knee Boarding


 Tow sports are ranked and respected according to how hard it is to stand up while doing it. Therefore, a single ski is the hardest and most respected, then it is either wake boarding or two skis and the underachieving little brother is the knee board. I think the knee board was intended as an accessible and fun tow sport for children and the handicapped but I embraced it and loved when we got to go out knee boarding. First we would get the populist water weenie out of the way and once all of those victims were sufficiently whiplashed we would bring out the big guns. A yellow knee board that I could launch from the shore or the water. My dad would tow me for as long as I wanted around in big circles and figures eight while I would steer back and forth jumping off the wake. Well, what felt like jumping off of the wake. I could turn and ride backwards, I could even spin 360 or whip myself across the wake when we were close to shore and time it so I could cruise to a stop right on or near the beach. It was my favorite part of summer. I always wanted to get other people involved so they could learn how and then see how much better I was at it than them but no one seemed to really care. Once we even got my mom, a very reluctant adventurer, to give it a try she failed to plane and the nose of the board dipped under the water and instead of letting go of the tow rope she held on for what seemed like a minute with her face making a pretty great bow wave in front of it. Her panicked face plowing through a wall of water struck all of us in the boat as very funny and we joked about it for quite a while.