Swim Lessons Kick Boarding


I am by nature a pretty cowardly person but I also like to show off so sometimes those conflicting interests conflict and I end up doing something ill advised and poorly thought out to try and look cool. Mission not accomplished. There was an old run down community pool in the next city over that offered swimming lessons and one summer my mom signed us up even though we were already competent swimmers. We went to class the first day and the old lady was trying to teach us how to put our heads under water and blow bubbles but when she saw we were several years older than the group she was teaching and that we could already swim she sent us over to the advanced group which was a step too far. They were working on form for races and diving and stuff so we tried to jump right into the flow of that class but were quickly exhausted so the teacher gave us some kick boards to keep us afloat while we practiced. The kick board was awesome but when it came time for diving practice, or in my sister and I's case jumping off practice we were supposed to leave the boards on the side. While the teacher was not watching I pushed the kick board out under the high board in what I thought was going to be the set-up to a magical and impressive trick. I imagined that I would jump off the high board and hit the kick board in stride as it were and surf away standing on the board. I know that sound ridiculous and the reason that sounds that way is because it was. I pushed the board out and then ran up the ladder to dive before anyone else could steal my great idea. I lined up my approach vectors for my moment of triumph and jumped. I did hit the board squarely with both feet, so, so far so good. Then the board went under the water developing a lot of resurfacing potential and then it slipped out from under my feet and hit my right in the nose as I my head was hitting the water. It was one of those instant blood gushing nose bleeds that got everyone’s attention and the instructor pulled me out and was yelling at everyone telling them that having a kick board under the high dive was extremely dangerous and if she found out who had done it she was going to kick them out of swimming. I kept quite and bled because I felt I had been punished enough already for my lack of common sense without having to be kicked out of swimming.