Hot Oil. Smoking Hot Oil.


 There was a general rule of thumb at our house and that was when our parents were away we would ratchet up the danger a notch. They would head out the door and all of the sudden we would be stuck with the notion to use power tools, jump off high places, or as I am about to relate in this little tale of woe deep fry bread on the stove. In many mobile homes there is a half wall between the kitchen and living room which allows for spectation of the kitchen activities by those not in the kitchen. Vital to the catastrophe I am relating there was also a sink with a spray head common to that was al within reach of our stove. We were going along frying some nice donuts and had made quite a few when my brother Matt and I we distracted by the switching of raw dough and reviving plates. In that time the oil got hot enough to smoke slightly which sent my little sister in to action she had been standing behind the wall and when she saw the oil smoke, and to be absolutely clear it was only that thin white smoke that oil often gets in deep frying operations, she grabbed up the spray head and turned on the water and sprayed water into the pot of superheated oil. If you are familiar with the middle ages, and I have no reason to doubt that you are, one of the classic castle defense maneuvers was to pour boiling oil onto invaders. I'll tell you why they did that, it is because it ranges from extremely painful to fatal to be hit with boiling oil. This ties back to the story I was just relating because when Mary sprayed the oil it erupted out of the pan splattering Matt and I with four hundred degree oil. The good news was that on the continuum of boiling oil injuries we were able to keep them on the extremely painful end of the spectrum, the bad news was too fold, first we had bad burns that left Matt and I permanently scarred in the abdominal region, maybe forever ruining my shirtless modeling career and secondly, there was a huge mess of oil splattered all over the kitchen which we had to clean up ourselves because Mary was off somewhere crying because of the beating she got for being an idiot.