A la Pippy Longstocking


 There was a low budget movie version of the Pippy Longstocking books that was at the local video store. There were not that many movies that were children appropriate so ipso facto we watched that one, more than once. It was funny and fun but it gave kids bad ideas about the workings of physics. The movie featured heroine that was super strong and impervious to pain which makes her less than ideal as a role model because we were regular strong and pervious to pain. She did have one trick in the movie as a mode of escape that we thought we could try out and by we I mean my older sister and I would produce and direct and my then youngest sister Mary would ride the lightning so to speak. The stunt in the movie was that Pippy was escaping from somewhere and decided not to use he super strength but opted instead to rely on subterfuge. She secreted herself in a suitcase and then was pushed out of a second story window and arrived on the ground unscathed and laughing. The science seemed to check out but just to be sure we altered the parameters slightly we lived in a single story house, as most mobile homes are, and we were going to use our sister instead of our selves so we could observe but if she survived we would definitely have next. We loaded her up in the suit case which was a rigid baby blue number built more for its sturdiness than its interior comfort. We loaded her in and then pushed her across the bed and out the window for a drop of about four feet which was good because if it would have been more she may have been really hurt but she was still hurt just not so bad. She got out crying and mad and threatening to tell and we applied the standard kid method of dissuading a sibling from ratting us out. The standard method is to bribe and cajole followed quickly by a treat and then right back to pleading. Like this:
“Oh, I'm sorry you got hurt we didn't mean to hurt you are you okay?”
Through hitching sobs, “You hurt me really bad I am telling.”
“Please don't, We will go buy you a treat, what treat do you want?”
Still crying,” I don't want a treat I am telling.”
“If you tell I will hurt you even worse.”
“Mom! Mom!”, she would run off to tell and I would head her off.
“No wait I was just kidding I wasn't going to hurt you please don't tell do you want to hurt me and we will be even?”
You continue this way until you are told on or find a substitute you both can agree on.
I never took my turn in the suitcase but Mary had not completed her tour as guinea pig.