The Maiden Sinking


 With the massive boat and trailer the going was hard from Santaquin to Spring Lake but the stopping was harder. I made the transportation rookies classic mistake of only considering how I would make my trailer and boat go and not how it would stop. When I tried to stop to turn from the orchard road to the canal road it pushed me a hundred feet past the mark and I eventually had to jump off the bike and let it dig into the gravel to stop completely. I turned the boat and trailer around and could not get enough power to start peddling again so I had to walk the bike and boat back up to the intersection I missed and because it was then up hill for a stretch I had to walk about a mile pushing the boat and cart. Where were all of my co-conspirators you ask? Oh, they left me and went on ahead to go fishing while they waited for me. Good guys. I got up to the highway and it was all downhill from there to Spring Lake so I was able to coast it in to the lower side on the south end where I met back up with all those solid friends who left a man behind. I was only mad for a minute because our tar dingy with the glass bottom was ready to launch and it was going to be an awesome day. We loaded the boat out of the trailer and put it in the water and it floated and didn't leak, victory! My friend Nathan and I got in the boat and got our paddles ready and pushed off into the pond. It became pretty apparent pretty quickly that we may have not adequately designed this glass bottom thing because as soon as both of our weight was on it for just a second it bowed and shattered sending water up like a geyser. We tried for a moment to save the old girl but it sank to the bottom so quickly we had no chance really. All of the tar must have made the boat heavier than water because it went all the way to the bottom and I sat on the side and wanted to cry but with so many older boys with a bullying streak standing around I thought I better save it up for later. I told them I didn't feel like fishing and took my trailer and bike and started walking home. I walked as far as canal road and then it was down hill until the orchard so I was able to ride until the bottom but at that point I was too tired and hot and sad to carry it any further and I put the trailer in the apple orchard and left it. Ryan and Nathan caught up with me right about then and we rode to Ryan's house and his mom gave me a very dry chicken leg for lunch. I went home after that and cried and went to sleep. I don't think we could call the boat an unqualified success but it did sink pretty well so there is that.