I Invent a Game


Like Risk but with no risk for me.  

The summer between sixth and seventh grade was when Adam and I were friends and in that time I was introduced to the game Risk. I was absolutely in love with the game except for one big problem – I could lose. That was not that fun so I decided to make up a new game with a board and pieces I bought at a local thrift store called the Deseret Industries. The board was a map board of Europe that I paired with army figures and some chess pawns for nuclear weapons. I had organized the rules to favor my strategy and almost guaranteed a win. I brought my game over to Adam's house and got him and his mom to play. The game play was going fine with Adam and I ganging up on his mom but then I started to get worried that he was becoming too powerful so I used the the nuclear pawn on him to decimate his forces. As a nine year old I don't know if he was familiar with Clausewitz, Sun Tzu, or Machiavelli, because if he was he would have recognized my friend-poor but strategically sound decision. When I dropped the bomb on him literally and figuratively Adam's face dropped and he looked on the verge of tears after he had helped me as an ally I bombed him to make sure I won. I felt horrible and tried to throw the game to earn back some friendship but he just wanted to lose and have it be over with and then I took my game and went home. I thought I liked winning above all but I was wrong.