I Invent Scuba Diving


 I have mentioned that my dad was a scuba diver and I became a scuba diver when I was 12 and there is a lot of funny stuff that happened with that but when I was too young to certify I wanted in on the magic of the under water world and I knew how to do it. I knew that under water what you needed was air and I was in my pre-knowing about O2 -CO2 days and thought air was air was air. So my plan was simple I would get some tape some straws and a few discarded yogurt containers and hook them all together in a line and then when I went under the water I could calmly sip air as I needed and refill the containers as I exhaled. I had just cracked the age old problem of infinite underwater air supply all with a few pieces of reused trash and a dash of naivety. I have found that it is always easier to solve problem before you are really aware of the scope of the problem. I took my new invention and a pair of snorkeling goggles and headed up to the reservoir to complete my victory over the watery realm. Justin and I rode up on our bikes and I readied myself for a leisurely afternoon of underwater exploration. I waded in up to my chest and put my goggles on and assured Justin that I would only stay under for a few minutes and then he could have his turn. I put the straw into my mouth and pulled my goggles down over my eyes. I plunged under the water and my brilliant contraption failed instantly coming apart into all of its component parts and filling my lungs with a quart of diseased Santaquin reservoir water. I was sputtering out water and strangling as I struggled to my feet in the deep mud. Trying to keep my head above water while Justin was yelling from shore wondering if it was working or not. No, you dumb piece of crap, it is not working - that is why I am dying. What does it look like, Idiot? I thought those things in retrospect at the time I was trying not to drown. When I finally struggled to shore I crawled up on the bank and coughed uncontrollably for ten minutes. I was soaked through, muddy and exhausted from my ordeal when Justin lamented the fact that I had broken it before he even had a chance to try it. The lesson here is that you should always take the first turn when testing a lethal prototype because if you have seconds sometime the first guy will die and you will never get a turn. I scrapped the scuba set and decided a submarine was a more reasonable project for a couple of young men wanting to explore the nautical depths.