Box Wings


 I think a parachute is a very good idea. Maybe I should say the idea of a parachute is a good idea but that in execution sometimes it lacks in execution. I naturally wanted to try my hand at paracute design and as is my style I wanted to go big with no safety net, except what would be strapped to my back. I started out my design to protect me from jumping from the top of our mobile home with a unconventional design that has become widely copied - the semi-rigid wing, or flying squirrel design. The current and successful designs use super strong polymers in a precision engineered airfoil. Mine used more cardboard and duct tape and less precision design but it was basically the same thing. I was not entirely sure that my cardboard wings were going to keep me safe so I backed them up with some sheets that I taped together and then attached to my shoulders with some yellow rope. I was all set for a test flight so I climbed awkwardly onto the trampoline with my rig and jumped off the side. I was not arrested in mid air or even slowed at all but I assumed that was because the wings and parachute didn't have enough time to deploy fully. The natural next step was to jump from the roof of the house. This was not as dangerous as it sounds because we lived in a mobile home and the roof was only 10 feet off the ground. I got a ladder and tried not to die while I climbed up wearing my apple box wings and sheet parachute. I looked over the edge at the ground for awhile looking for the softest spot and imagining how cool it would be wafting to the ground like a leaf in the wind. I jumped when I built up courage and shot to the ground with no discernible slowing from free fall. My feet hit the ground very hard and my knees buckled up around my chest and knocked the wind out of me and I got strangled in the sheets. I laid there trying to breathe and realizing that this design was not one to try again. When I was done almost dieing I wadded up the rig and threw it all away in the garbage and took a nap.