We Invite Everyone!


Around the time I was nine years old I decided to throw my mom a surprise birthday party. I only told my sister about it and we wrote down a few of the things that a party needed. Cake, Ice cream. . .done. We couldn't afford Ice cream or make a cake so we worked out a plan where we could get the guest bring the party and themselves and kill two birds with one stone and ask that stone to also clean and gut them for us. I got on the phone and invited all of my aunts and uncles and told them to bring some cake and Ice cream and to come down to our house for a party for my mom's birthday. I only gave them about three days notice but they all said they would come the forty miles to our house that Sunday. My grandfather, grandmother and adult mentally handicapped son were also on board so the guest list was starting to look like about thirty. I knew about cake and ice cream as objects and concepts of refreshment but not as a quantifiable, consumable commodity so I woefully underestimated the amount of refreshments that thirty guests would need. I also had not considered the logistics of consumption and made no provision for plates and utensils for thirty. Come Sunday we were coming home from church walking home with my mom when she noticed about six cars in the driveway. She was definitely surprised. In fact, her surprise bordered on panic when I told her what I had organized for her. We lived in a mobile home which has about enough room in the kitchen and living room for about 12 people. That left us approximately 18 short of fitting everyone in. My aunt had brought one 9”round double decker 'ugly cake' that if it was cut really thin could feed 12. Once again 18 short. We had no where enough cups, forks, or plates and I had not actually thought of any sort of plan as far as activities went so everyone was just milling around hanging out. My mom was running around trying to get seats and plates and treats for everyone and it was not working. All the kids were fine we just ran off and played so I was not sure how the rest of the party went but after everyone went home I was strictly forbidden from organizing anymore surprise parties. Fine. You're welcome.