My Dad Offers us Ass Cream


My dad was one of those dads who had virtually no time for his kids. I played basketball from middle school through high school on city and church teams and I cannot remember him coming to a single game. I debated for two years in high school and went to college on a debate scholarship and he has never seen me debate. I wrestled for one year in high-school on a whim and he never saw me take a beating. I rock climbed recreationally and competitively for four years and he did see me do that once by accident because he was driving up the canyon we were climbing and I happened to be doing a route on the road. And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon. I think it was the older kids he ignored because he went to every one of my younger brother's football games. I am not bitter though I am just telling you that there was not a ton of parental support. He did however love to show attention on other people's kids. He would talk with them help them with projects and be extremely generous with treats and the like for neighbor kids and kids in the church youth group. There was a ice cream truck that drove around Santaquin playing a royalty free version of 'It's a Small World After All' on a non stop 30 second loop and when it came by, and we had someone to impress over, my dad would buy all of the other kids an ice cream. My friends got particular pleasure from his southern accent, which they thought was hilarious, and that was combined with the fact that he was offering to buy them all an 'Ass Cream Cone'. My friend Gabe in particular spent the rest of our time in jr. high and high school impersonating my dad and telling me, 'Nay-Than, Ya'll Go an' Get You an Ass Cream Cone'. This was literally done at least a couple of times a week for years and years.