Asparagus, One US Pound.


I have spent much of my life trying to appear smarter and more competent then I actually am. I started this ruse early and have stuck with it because why abandon a sinking ship? One of the techniques that is my stack and trade is using unnecessarily complex language to throw people off the trail of my marginal knowledge. The idea is to cause insecurity in the audience with jargon and thus keep them from asking any questions that might reveal the man behind the curtain. This works sometimes but sometimes my bluff is called and leads to some cringe-worthy back and side tracking. One time Quinn and I found some wild asparagus on the side of a ditch and collected a whole lot of it. When we got back to his house I wanted to demonstrate my vast knowledge to his mom and kept saying that we had probably collected one or two U.S. Pounds of asparagus. I mentioned this unit of measure many times in the course of our brief conversation. It was U.S. pound this and U.S. pound that until she finally asked me if there was some other sort of pound that I was worried she would be confused with. I was embarrassed to have my bluff called and I guess I still am. The sad part was that beyond that exact situation it didn't make me reconsider my know-it-all-ism and I still never fore-think my faux pas just regret them. They say consistency is key to something well I am well on my way to whatever that thing may be.