Little John Learns The Hard Way


 Well, I might as well tell you that I was easily influenced by movies when I was young. When my brother and I watch a sword fighting movie, we would pretty quickly knock together some passable replicas and get to work trying to have an awesome looking sword fight. We watched a movie called 'The Young Robin Hood' about a boy who uses crude medieval peasant weapons to defeat evil in the form of the sheriff of Nottingham. We were so riled up my the possibilities of defeating evil with weapons we could manufacture that we got right to work. I made a 'quarter staff' which is a middle English term for your-mom's-broom-handle. Matt made a bow out of a curved branch and some string and an couple of arrows from some dowels my mom had graciously used as stiffeners in her curtains but no longer kept strict count of. They were of a size that perfectly fit into a pencil sharpener that we had mounted to the wall of the utility room for just such a task of putting a point on a dowel. Maybe it wasn't just for that, but it worked. Then I, outfitted with a stick just like Little John and Matt outfitted with Robin Hood's iconic bow set off to find evil. We looked for some of the back yard neighbors but they were not to be found. Then we looked for a kid named JD or JT who was supposed to be fairly evil, also no dice. We practiced our skills with our weapons a little bit but what we really craved was battle to test our new powers. I got too bored and decide to give Matt a little practice whack with my quarter staff. He felt like that had not been a good idea and chased me around threatening to do me grievous bodily harm. I once again took a page out of Merry Men's book and ran to a really big tree that was in our front yard climbed up to a crotch that was 8 feet off the ground and began to mock my pursuer and try and poke him hard in the face with my stick if he tried to climb up. I was sitting up in the tree laughing at him with my legs hanging down but out of reach when he threatened to shoot me with his bow and arrow. I knew from my previous attempt that using the bravado bluff did not work but I decided to see if that was really true and I told him that he didn't dare shoot me with his bow and arrow. He dared. He 'oh yeah-ed?' me, notched and arrow and shot it into my calf from about 10 feet away. The arrow was well aimed and swift and stuck deep into my leg. That hurt. I cried and screamed until my mom came out to see what had happened and the whole time Matt was 'I told you so-ing' me in various ways. When my mom got to me she helped he out of the tree and pulled the arrow out of my leg. Luckily we had not developed the technology of barbs and it pulled out fairly smoothly. I was whimpering and demanding justice when Matt came around unrepentantly telling my Mom some crazy story about how he was hit hard with a quarter staff. Somehow my mom interpreted that as me starting the whole thing and getting what I deserved. I think we played Robin Hood more times but I don't remember turning the weapons on my brother ever again. I definitely never tried to bluff him again seeing as how the first two times turned out so poorly. Oh, and I still have a perfectly round scar halfway up my left calf.