Buying Cheep Nice Clothes and Having them Ripped by 'Rich' Kids


At this time in my life, going into fifth grade, I started wanting to be cool. Cool, I think is a combination of nature and nurture, and being a child of nerds who was intermittently home schooled I was naturally a shoe-in. One thing I had deduced with my not inconsiderable powers of cool observation was that all the cool kids had cool clothes and I didn't so in a all time classic misunderstanding of cause and correlation I decided to get some cool clothes. The big problem was that my parents did not share my aspirations in the sense of financially supporting them. I saved up my own allowance and money I earned doing jobs and selling stuff and at the end of summer made arrangements with my mom to go shopping for school clothes not at a thrift store. My mom took me to a stylish department store she knew off called K-mart. She was right on the money too, the place had really nice clothes that, in my opinion, looked really, really cool. One little ensemble that looked really good to me was a two tone green stripped shirt and short matching set with orange trim inside the sleeves and cuffs which was designed be rolled over to create a nice contrasting color band at all of my limb-holes. It also had a surfing related screen printed image and copy that made the whole thing pop. A classic sharp look that would hopefully insert me seamlessly into the jet set of my sometime elementary school. The plan was sound. Except it was smothered in it infancy by some rich kids. The saddest part to me in retrospect was how very lower middle class the kids I thought were rich were. Some kids from across town by which I mean four blocks away, the town was very small, invited my friend Ben and I to play some football. The new clothes were working already, these were cool kids and they wanted to play with me. My plan was working. We went over to the new elementary school and there were a lot of bigger boys there seventh graders and stuff which made me a little nervous but I was there to make entry into the upper-crust of Santaquin society so playing football with seventh graders would just be the price I had to pay. We chose up teams and I was chosen last as was my tradition, so I wasn't jumping off completely from my old life. Baby steps. We got ot playing and everything was going fairly well and then a seventh grader kid tackled me by grabbing the precious collar of my new shirt and it ripped wide open. It tore almost in half and was barely hanging on me. The boy thought tearing my shirt off was the funniest thing he had seen all day and he and his friends were laughing at me and misfortune. It took all of my powers of self control to not break down and start crying as I gathered my tatters in my hand and walked home. When I was out of range then I started crying. I tried to mend the shirt but given the severity of the damage and my rudimentary understanding of sewing doomed my efforts. That may have single handedly derailed my efforts of being cool in the fifth grade. The shirt was central, that shirt was the key. But I had to have my mom buy me regular nerd clothes because my money was all gone.