Kevin Has Nice Things, I Hate Him


 There was a boy down the road that was my age but he was a spoiled brat. He was clean and fussy and organized and not the sort of folk that we had congress with. Matt and I were friends with many of the kids in the neighborhood but Keven and his brother were always right off the list. They were not allowed to come to our house if their were no parents around because it was not safe. Kevin and his parents obviously missed the critical life lesson that the less safe something is the more fun it is. One of my regular neighborhood friends was starting to hang out with Kevin because he had all kinds of really good toys. We are talking rich kid stuff here, G.I. Joes, He-Persons, and the purchasable set pieces like bases and such. The only toys we had were by the piece and generally altered, I mean some really great after-market customizations that were lost on those plebeian sons of Santaquin. Our commodity was chaos and adventure, that was not the tribe Keven had been raised in so we had mutually exclusive and somewhat hostile camps of friends. So when one of my good friends started dabbling I felt like it was a threat and wanted to bring Kevin down. Anytime my friend would mention Kevin I would mention in passing some subtle jab at his character. Something like, 'I think Kevin is a stuck up snotty piece of crap.' Subtle stuff to sow seeds of doubt. My mom heard me constantly taking whacks at poor little Kevin and told me to be nice to him. Well that is when the awkward happened and Kevin called to see if I could come over to his house and play. I asked my mom if I could go and she said, 'I thought you said that Kevin was stuck up and you hated him.' What? When? You are crazy mom. She said I could go, I walked down to his house and immediately knew I was in the wrong sort of place when they made me take off my shoes when I came in the door. At that point in my life I had never been in a home that required this kind of protocol so I was embarrassed about the mismatched state of my socks. I feel it should be common courtesy to warn someone before they come over if you are shoe-taking-offer household. We went down to Kevin's room that looked like a toy store because he like to keep many of his toy's posed either in there original boxes of in front of them. I had always been impatient and would rip open a toy I had bought on the way from the store to the car. The only problem was he wouldn't play with them or even let me hold them and that is what I felt toys were for. He suggested we play some Atari. He had the console and the TV in his own room and now we were warming up to some common ground, a video game will bridge the gap nicely. He had the controllers disconnected and in another box which he unboxed but to my confusion only got out one of the controllers. He put in a game and inserted his controller and I asked why he didn't get out the other one and he told me it was because he didn't want other people to play because they did it wrong and the might mess it up but I could watch him play. Which I did for a lack of dignity that still stings to this day I should have told him to piss right off and headed home but I stayed and watched him play for almost an hour. Then he told me I had to go home, and I did. I never went back to Kevin’s house even though he invited me several times but I did ease up on insulting him behind his back. It is just simple logic that a guy who would want me for a friend is at minimum a superior judge of character. They moved away in a couple of years and I ran into Kevin years later in high school debate and beat him soundly.