Quinn G.I. Joe Aircraft Carrier


The stuff of catalogs for the likes of me. The U.S.S. Flagg was when the science of plastic became art. 

I didn't have any friends my own age. My brand of nerdy condescension didn't seem to attract a lot of peers to my inner circle. I mainly had older friends and younger friends with whom I could be a leader or follower. One of my early regular best friends was a boy that lived a few blocks away named Quin. His dad was a small-time up and comer who was always angling for more money or influence with side businesses and perennial bids for public office in our small town. His mom was a beautiful and sweet stereotypical fifties wife living a few decades to late. She was the sort of woman who had the kids to school, the beds made, laundry done, cookies baked and dinner on the table at 5:30. It was so radically different than my home life that it was sometimes disorienting and confusing to me but I loved it. I loved that the house was clean and organized and that Quins mom was always interested in talking to us and helping us do projects. She also was a firm believer in afternoon snacks of the baked variety, that was a dogma I could get behind. Beyond having a super stable and normal home life quin had great toys that I coveted dearly. He had video games, erector sets, and best of all he had a G.I. Joe aircraft carrier that was about two feet tall and four feet long. All of that magnificent plastic joy all in one place was my idea of heaven. When we were playing I would generally try and direct the attention down stairs to the play room that had the G.I. Joes but as with many people who have stuff quin was bored with the opulence and wanted to play something else. Sometimes in anticipation of playing with the aircraft carrier I would bring my G.I. Joe collection with me. I only had one Joe so I could bring over my whole collection in my pocket and get him into the action which must have been such a treat for him.