A Story I Forgot to Remember


Don't these look like they could lay eggs in your brain and only be beaten back by Vin Diesel? 


This story really belongs in the Florida trip but I didn't remember until two days ago when I was reading a book about animals with my boys and I saw a picture of horseshoe crabs. For the record the horseshoe crab looks like a drawing from a medieval naturalist book where they hear about something and then just draw some crazy pictures to try and match the verbal description. They look like giant alien bugs and I mean that in a very good way. During the trip we went down to Panama City which is on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. Florida in the winter is nice but it is still winter and in our mind we had been hoping for some sunny fun on the beach but it was just cold and windy. That was not the deal breaker though. When we got there the beach was covered with the horseshoe crabs washed up on the shore and rotting in the sun. I guess they had been breeding and dieing there in a deliberate effort to ruin our trip to the beach. The other major problem is that there were millions of jelly fish all over she shore an din the water as well that had blown in in a storm. So we walked around in the piles of rotting sea life and picked up a couple of the shells from the crabs and then figured it was too cold and we needed to head home. Once we had the shells in the camper my mom decided pretty quickly that her budding naturalists were not allowed to bring half rotten meat inside of shells into the vehicle. She threw them out. She must hate science. Rude.